Aug20

FOOD BLOG?

August 20, 2012 ⋅ by Ben Baller ⋅ 29 comments

I mean… the baby could be here any day. I’m anxious than a motherfucker and obvi my wife is beyond that and just wants the baby out. we’re 39 weeks right now. so our son will be here shortly!

meanwhile. I haven’t been in my store lately because I’m at home waiting for the baby to arrive…. but when I’m not at home, I’m out eating and damn, this past 4-5 days has been crazy! I think I gained 7lbs!!!! last time I did that in a week was when I visited New Orleans over a decade ago(after Katrina hit, I refuse to go back there and eat seafood no matter what anyone says)

so let’s start with thursday… hit me all time favorite italian joint “La Scala” with my boy Michael Trevino… for maybe 7 months or longer now, me and my fellow aquarian have been trying to get up to break break and just talk some shit… he’s always shooting in Atlanta for his show Vampire Diaries, so it’s tough and when he’s off, he’s traveling around like he should be and I’ve been all over. but finally got to chop it up over a chopped salad and bowl of spaghetti bolognese(hands down the best spaghetti I’ve had in my lifetime on earth. nothing comes close. Chateau Marmont is 2nd place though) and I know me and my dude will end up working on a project together somehow…

thursday night, I caught up with Catdicc Jr and my boy Peter and we hit up the Arclight for the midnight showing of the Expendables 2 and we ate at the cafe at the Arclight and it’s been a cool minute since I’ve ate there…. like maybe 10 years! but damn that shit was great! the fries were like mini baked potatoes and they have a full bar. we got it in and then watched a lot of action… the movie wasn’t bad at all. crazy to see all those action heroes all in 1 movie and man Chuck Norris brought the heat. his scenes were the best for real….

so Friday for Lunch I had to drop off that custom gold coin chain to my boy and he told me to meet him in Weho and I don’t like eating in Weho unless it’s Cecconi’s or like Madeo or Dan Tanas really…. but my boy is legit with his food choices and he never fails me. I was still really skeptical and he told me to meet him at this place called “O Burger” Organic Burger which obviously only serves organically made food and I was really skeptical because I’ve had those healthy burgers before and they’re ok, not bad, but not what I wanted to start my weekend off with……
WOW! after 3 bites, I had to say it was a tasty burger and they offer a egg there! after finishing that burger, I have to say it’s in the top 5 best burgers in LA. it could be top 3 to be real. I mean, it’s really really really fucking good. they only serve organic beverages, but their organic ginger ale was all the money!

much love to O Burger! I will be coming back!

oh yeah…

here’s what the charm looked like after I added a 60 gram 14k 4mm cuban link on it. such a dope chain, now I want to make something like it for myself….

it’s been so hot in LA. I mean triple digits hot. stupid crazy hot and I didn’t really have tints on most of my cars, due to getting fucked with more than I already do by the police, etc… but I couldn’t resist anymore. took it over to my boy Juniors shop “Fresh Tintings” in Reseda(he has 3 and soon to be 4 locations in So Cal) and he hooked it up with the best triple A finest pure ceramic tint made by Huper Optik

car is almost done… I CAN’T take off the front license plate because then I can’t park the car at LAX or even enter without getting pulled over. it’s 100% guaranteed and it’s such a fucking nightmare that I just want to leave it on. I also got $7000 in front license plate parking tickets last year so fuck that…. thank you again Junior! much love homey
so right before that sun set in the west coast, I met up with legendary photographer Michael Miller who specializes in West Coast Hip Hop artists…. he is a legend why? because he’s shot the late great tupac and Eazy E and NWA and so many more

those are just 2 legendary pics out of hundreds! thousands!
anyways, I shot with him for his documentary on west coast hip hop history
I was honored he even wanted to shoot me for it, but a few of my west coast legendary street cats reached out to me and I was game all in! we met up in Los Feliz, drove around Koreatown to downtown LA and then back around echo park and silverlake and reminisced about 1982 to 2012 really. crazy shit.

thank you Mike and much love homey. your book is incredible!

after that, I thought it was on at the crib and got some Links and Hops for me and Nic…. so I stayed near by and hopefully waited for our baby to come! I bought season 4 of Sons of Anarchy on sony stream and we watched the whole season in a day and a half! shit was good, but damn that ending was suspect! can’t wait for season 5 to hit next month!

Saturday morning, we hit this spot close to the crib in Atwater Village called “Canele” and we’ve been wanting to come here badly for the past 4 months, but when we’ve tried it’s been too busy and Nic can’t wait or just haven’t had the time, so I yelped them and found out they actually have a super duper official brunch…. so we shot over there like 11am and it was super cafe style restaurant as I expected, but damn when that food came out!

I said, hold up, only white folks in the kitchen? hmmm haha

one of the best omelettes I’ve had in my life…

they’re famous for their French Toast and WOW! that shit was waaay too big. I mean nobody could finish an order of this by themselves and it was hard to even make a dent with me and my pregnant wife…. but we sure tried. shit was unreal!

now their bacon???? THE BEST I’VE EVER HAD! HOLY FUCK! this shit was about 5-6mm thick! no joke and around as long as a ruler! it was juicy and thick like the black pork you get from a korean bbq joint! I couldn’t believe it.
the restaurant is a little expensive, but not like Mr. Chows or anything. I can’t wait to finally hit that spot up for dinner! won’t be for a while though, at least a few months until London can either come or my mother in law can watch him

and so later on in the day, there’s a spot about 10 minutes away where fat folks and foodies eat at and damn, I can’t believe I ate here after having that monster breakfast….

so later for a late lunch, early dinner… me and my boy Pete finally decided to check out “oinkster” in Eagle Rock…. GOD DAMNNNNNNN!!!!!
this place has been on food network for like 3 different shows, that diners one, anthony bourdain and guy fieri too…. they all been there, all raved about it, so I had to check it out.
the owner was a chef at a nice restaurant and he studied under Langers (world famous, LA legendary spot) to perfect their pastrami…. man! their pastrami is incredible, their pulled pork is incredible and their milkshakes are insane!!!!!

dee lishhhh uss

they have a veggie burger too! I heard it’s crazy good, so that means Nic can come next time!

to make things worse…. we went to BJ’s after to get a pizookie. smh
so fucking good

but yo
real talk?
TO MAKE THINGS THE WORST OF THE WORSTEST????

woke up to this on my nightstand
I didn’t even know I went to McDonalds late night and got myself a Mcflurry smh along with mad other snacks… I was 169lbs about 10 days ago. I’m back at like 177!!!!!!

but that didn’t stop me on sunday….
I had a contractor come over to install some chicken wire underneath our house because we have fucking skunks and possums who like to sleep and hide there and that means I can’t let PeeWee out or else he’ll get bit or sprayed, so it’s a damn nightmare… also blocked out some things around the backyard to make sure they can’t get in…. also installed the 42″ LED flatscreen in London’s bedroom….

so while he was doing all of that, what did I do?

I went to Don Felix to try their Lomo and their shit is pretty official. I was surprised! and it’s only about 8 min from the trap which is closer than Marios… only thing is they don’t have the official Jalea like marios, but this will do… INCA COLA!!!

and then shot over to my sister’s house in the hot ass 105 degree valley to say happy birthday to my twin nieces… I always make sure to get them the best gifts! everyone in my family is excited for the baby to come! and it was good to see all my family as I’m sure I’ll be seeing them very soon again

what I didn’t do this weekend? I WAS NOT FUCKING WITH “ROCK THE BELLS” HELL NO! no fucking way!!!!! 100 + degree weather around 50,000 people? I rather be in county jail for 6 hours
but shout out to my folks who performed, especially my homey Hit Boy who did his thing with Cudi

what did I eat for dinner though?

if you ain’t ever been to Dinah’s friend chicken, you should at least try it once. it’s better than popeyes or kfc or even golden bird or churchs… (can’t fuck with Roscoes) but it’s good as fuck! and their pineapple cole slaw is bomb… the other sides are ok though. they got one in glendale and right by the Fox Hills mall near LAX. check it.

MAN I’M SO FAT. I need to walk this shit off…. but like in a few months lol

no magic trade show for me this time, next year though for sure to promote my Neff Watch

and be on the look out for my jesus tee collab coming soon in early to mid Sept! online or chicago only! exclusively at Jugrnaut!

word up!

last night as I was about to go to sleep….

pure fuckery…. I got a bb gun and next time I see one, it’s over. he’s getting lit up!

peace everyone!

god bless!

• mikeAugust 20, 2012 1:17 pm

staying in west hollywood on some vacay shit w/my girl for labor day weekend.. best brunch spot nearby? Thx and wishing you the best with your upcoming baby.

• Ben BallerAugust 20, 2012 6:22 pm

mike, asia de cuba in the mondrian hotel. but there are so many good places to eat breakfast in weho. there and Hugo’s. but most places are like a 45 min to 1 hour or more wait

• GriffAugust 20, 2012 8:20 pm

Dang your reviews are more legit than some of the season pros on Chowhound.com. Definitely gonna try Canele next time the wife and I are in LA. The bacon looks insane. Wish you guys the best with the baby!

• JAYSMOKESAugust 20, 2012 11:02 pm

Damn bro you can eat… and you still a skinny cat.. shit making muthefukas hungry smh.
    Bentley looking clean as hell too, around how much for a wrap on a car that size? 2-3K?
    anyways, keep doing your thing and all the best to you and your fam.

• JAYSMOKESAugust 20, 2012 11:04 pm

@mike try griddles cafe on Sunset bro…

• Fresh Window Tint JuniorAugust 21, 2012 12:14 am

Bro you gotta try LOS BALCONES, its right by MARIO’s. Their meat is unreal. I tried Don Felix kuz my dad knows the owner for 20+ years, my homies fam actually owns it and hes a chef in the back, but ive told him that even their LOMO aint as good as Los Balcones. I’ll take you soon, after London is here. Thanks for all the love as always fam, see you this week. #FRESH X #IF&CO

• KAugust 21, 2012 12:53 am

I bet there are places in Italy where the spaghetti is unreal. LA can’t possibly have the best. That’s like saying Ktown has the best Korean food in the world.

• Fresh Window Tint JuniorAugust 21, 2012 1:04 am

Here is the youtube video we shot fam at the shop.

• Banned From TVAugust 21, 2012 8:56 am

Need to get rid of the pests? You might need a med-large size dog. Rodents can pretty much squeeze their bodies through any hole.

Not sure if you wanna do this but rememeber Steve Jobs used to drive around without any tags by switching up his vehicles every 6 months.

• mikeAugust 21, 2012 9:06 am

@benballer @JAYSMOKES thanks for recommendations fellas, will def try out these spots

• Ben BallerAugust 21, 2012 9:28 am

jaysmokes and mike, Griddle is good, but its never been 45min wait good. that’s the problem. but definitely good. that was what I was talking about when I mentioned the waits, but it’s just barely west of Fairfax on Sunset blvd.

• Ben BallerAugust 21, 2012 9:32 am

K, actually I would say that la scala has top 3 bowl of spaghetti bolognese on the earth…. Wolfgang puck himself has walked across the street from his restaurant to pick up a bowl many times….. and FYI the korean food in koreatown is definitely better than the korean food in Korea. I didn’t believe it, but pretty much the best korean food exists now in LA. also of course it’s much cleaner too. shits changed

• Jewelry webAugust 21, 2012 9:45 am

a cool watches http://gulis.bblog.se/

• richAugust 21, 2012 12:43 pm

next time ur in the sgv near the ie try out donahoo’s in pomona. some good chicken there. that pastrami looked bomb!!! i wish some of these places u eat at where closer to me so i could try them out

• CrazyMTRAugust 21, 2012 1:28 pm

The car is cray but start posting jewelery and not food cause it’s making me hungry ass fuck.

• CrazyMTFAugust 21, 2012 1:29 pm

Opps wrong name

• pakAugust 21, 2012 3:04 pm

Start a food blog foreal…you’d probably gain 100k more followers ha ha ha..

• LeeAugust 22, 2012 7:25 pm

woke up to this on my nightstand I didn’t even know I went to McDonalds late night and got myself a Mcflurry smh along with mad other snacks.

Funniest thing I read all week.

• HTOWN_TXAugust 22, 2012 10:12 pm

damn bro, you make me hungry with all them food pics lol

• richAugust 24, 2012 11:35 am

congrats on ur new baby boy!!!

• jAugust 24, 2012 5:20 pm

congrats to you and your wife 😀 both are blessed x all the best

• CrazyMTFAugust 25, 2012 8:58 am

Congrats hope to see the pics soon your pops is proud of you in heaven.Now I can’t wait for Tyga to have his baby soon your child and his child can be the best of friends.

• DJAugust 29, 2012 8:40 am

Yo big ups BB…on some very real health shit yo i’ve been wondering how you can eat all this heavy duty grub and not become a fat ass dude. I work out like crazy and had to go gluten-free to drop 20 lbs and get myself in fighting shape. I just bloat the f up when I eat alot of carbs – pasta, bread, high sodium, etc. I can put on and drop 5-10 lbs in one day its nuts. Do you hit the gym ever??? I cant believe you eat all this amazing food. I can hit it up like this like twice a week maybe…

• californiaMIKESeptember 1, 2012 3:55 am

congrats on parenthood braw! im only 25 and i cant even imagine having a kid right now. my life style is to rapid for a mini me! lol. im sure you’ve done enough dirt/swaggin to be able to settle down in your mid 30’s. Nicole seems like the perfect fit your you. i was rasied by a single mother who worked 3 jobs at one point so LONDON is in good hands……….. stay up & for all the haters on this ish, dont reply YOU ARE WHY TO BUSY FOR THAT! one up.>>>

• californiaMIKESeptember 1, 2012 3:57 am

fyi you have to hit up LA ABEJA for some authentic menudo!!! its in HIGHLAND PARK. NELA. dont be scarrrrrrred

• Ben BallerSeptember 2, 2012 7:26 pm

cali mike, I’m gonna try that, I don’t think I’ve even tried decent menudo for over 15 years!

• AmeriKhmer.comSeptember 3, 2012 1:43 am

disabled ur post on the new one so ill post here and honestly bro, fuck em. anyone that actually reads your blog knows what youre about. hb is just a bunch of ratchet hoodrats runnin their mouth cus thas all theyre doing with their life is living it through others.

in their defense tho why a chinese lookin dude out stunting everyone else. haha that was prob the biggest mindfuck next to seeing asians on abdc

• CDOTBABLESSeptember 3, 2012 8:00 pm

Ben Baller i’m glad you set them straight on the La Deep post, haters gone hate on a daily. I’m glad your life is good and I hope you continue to prosper. Congrats on your little Baller. Take it easy!!! 1

• californiaMIKESeptember 3, 2012 8:54 pm

nice post brah. ive been reading your blog for 2 months now! your just an honest Angeleno that grinds hard. don’t know why people hate on you so much. keep winning by not acknowledging the negativity. shout out the your new born London! #7figureproblems #keysopendoors #babyballer