Dec6

Complex Top 50 “HONORABLE MENTION”

December 6, 2011 ⋅ by Ben Baller ⋅ 35 comments

had this list been about jesus pieces and crosses, then…
let’s just get this out of the way,
Frank White aka Notorious, aka Biggie aka B.I.G. would have been in the top 5 just off GP.
he was not the first to rock an official jesus piece, but he was one of the first and he made that Jesus piece what it is today. He made it platinum (literally)

so with that, He would have got on the top 5. trust me, I’ve been around hip hop since 1980 and I’ve loved and looked at jewels since then too. if you’re going to contest me about stupid things, get facts please, not speculation

Tito aka the original Jacob was the man who birthed the Jesus mold that eventually became remixed and made better by jacob and between him and Manny, they were super OG’s before Jacob…. Jacob just had a way stronger diamond connect and investor

without further ado…..

BIG POPPA!

now as for an honorable mention list….
lets get to those crosses!
Macho and Fat Joe copped 2 crosses from me, one ended up being sold and traded and then back on Cam’ron’s neck.

I can’t believe I didn’t make it to this cameo…. I was too busy being an idiot! this song/video “make it rain” changed the game of hip-hop for a good minute

and for the losers at Aviannes who said they made cam’rons cross…

really? ummm naw, that’s my uncle putting the finishing touches before I dropped it off at Joes hotel

and thats in my hands so you know how big a 50 carat cross is!

we made a glacier blue diamond one too that was the reverse colorway of Fat Joe’s and sold it to Bow Wow

and then cats keep telling me the I-95 chain changed the game

I personally liked the I-10 piece better, but what the I-95 repped was sick too, just in street talk and what that pipeline is responsible for….

so back to my honorable mention list

I fuck wid it E-40 SickWidIt chain I’m assuming made by Highline probably cost him around $40,000 and one thing is he definitely got a deal. the execution is pretty good

this was really close to making top 50, but damn, his stint was so short in hip-hop. he did kill it for a couple years because he overexposed the business releasing an album every week for an entire year! I used to work with Percy aka Master P and Boz so I remember those crazy days the Tank was running over everything, but again, it was very loud, hard and a short stay. I liked the chain. but it wasn’t my top 50 but I will pay respect

now if we’re gonna talk about gimmicks? I had to choose between 2 of Jasons Chains, either this or the Garfield one and I rather it be a lamborghini that worked and drove over a cartoon character.
I’ll give it up for Soulja Boy because 1. he had the same lambo and 2. he’s a youngster who pulled it off.

if there’s anyone you think I missed, then say it here, say it now or forever hold your peace!

please just don’t mention anything about Waka or Gucci.

thanks again to Complex magazine and let’s see what y’all got to say

btw, p.s. we moved close to 60 micro jesus pieces this week with the sale! over 20 baby jesus pieces and 2 full size jesus pieces!!!! it’s gonna be a good christmas

also, I got something special coming for my boy Drizzy……

oh yeah, I’m good…. we good lol YOLO!

• mikeDecember 6, 2011 10:52 am

Can you expand on no why Waka or Gucci? I don’t know much about jewelry so I would love to know your opinion on some of the outlandish stuff that Gucci has? Is it fake or something? Or do you just think they are tacky?

• CrazyMTFDecember 6, 2011 10:59 am

Did Juelz Santana white and canary yellow eagle Dipset chain make the list cause my computer froze.

Here’s the pic :

• ReyDecember 6, 2011 11:34 am

Ben what about the old school terror squad medallion that pun had ? That piece was huge and stupid!

• Ben BallerDecember 6, 2011 12:05 pm

cmon bro. you know that dipset chain made the list

• Banned From TVDecember 6, 2011 1:03 pm

Waka and Gucci belong in the Brian Pumper category.

• RayDecember 6, 2011 1:38 pm

Please explain your Waka and Gucci comment
    and what about young bergs ex transformer chain?

• Ben BallerDecember 6, 2011 2:14 pm

Ray what is there to explain? do you understand quality? good jewelry? even shitty jewelers can once in a while make something clean and decent.
    straight up hood shit isn’t gonna make it. period. nothing Yung Berg has owned was good, straight garbage. if anything then Tyga’s new egyptian type chain would be in there or his herringbone with TYGA TYGA because it was cold. but just not in the top 50

• ayeDecember 6, 2011 2:33 pm

to me you’re just hating, 2 jeezy chains but no gucci no waka? Cmon man, if they were some unknown cats, sure, but you know damn well Gucci got money, first 458 in the states, what’s that a fake Ferrari too now?

• DanielDecember 6, 2011 2:33 pm

what about bustas flipmode chain aftermath chain red NY chain and bull?

• DanielDecember 6, 2011 2:42 pm

also t pain chains of bottle of ace of spades ciroc ?

• ayeDecember 6, 2011 2:47 pm

yeah tpain had bunch of stupid chains. Busta too. Hell even lloyd banks

• dougDecember 6, 2011 2:49 pm

What about loyd banks’s statue of liberty chain?

• ayeDecember 6, 2011 2:56 pm

what’s funny is complex did a whole article on gucci’s chains alone, but yeah, http://www.complex.com/music/2010/04/a-history-of-gucci-manes-greatest-chains/

• ELDecember 6, 2011 4:05 pm

Mobb deep P’s death angel was east coast classic

Puff Lazarus east coast classic

missinfo book she was on point

But Ben had a great list

• SickoDecember 6, 2011 4:20 pm

Yo Ben great read thanks, wanted to know your thoughts
    On lil Kim’s chain the B with the crown on it, was no females on the list.

• 206December 6, 2011 5:52 pm

Gucci and waka are weak

• Ben BallerDecember 6, 2011 6:48 pm

LLOYD BANKS STATUE CHAIN WOULD BARELY MAKE HONORABLE MENTION. STOP MENTIONING THEIR SPINNER CHAINS, DON’T YOU THINK IF ONE DUDE IN A CREW HAS THE MOTHER SHIP ONE THAT IT’S POINTLESS TO HAVE OTHERS IN THE CREW HAVE THEIRS???

complex isn’t complimenting gucci on those chains I hope you guys know

tpain is a good dude, I can’t confirm any of the chains were real. no jeweler wanted to send me a test back

lil kim should have been the ONLY girl on my top 50 list. I wasn’t even thinking girls at the time and NICKI’S BARBIE CHAIN WAS NOT GOING TO MAKE IT.

• Ben BallerDecember 6, 2011 6:49 pm

@EL yeah miss infos book was dope, I collaborated with her on a few projects for hip hop jewelry etc….
    BUT Mobb Deeps chain was not going to make the TOP 50, not mine.

thanks everyone for your input, we all don’t have to agree. it’s all love regardless

• sammieDecember 6, 2011 7:08 pm

I-10 should have been #1.. IMO, because i’m bias like that…. good shit ben

• samDecember 6, 2011 7:34 pm

what about yung jocs hustlenomics

• FlintDecember 6, 2011 7:51 pm

What about Nellys Platinum/Gold/Black AMEX pieces? Every rapper claims they have one now, but we all know financially he could have these with ease, but to put it around the neck? I thought that was kind of creative…Ben?

• Kay BeeDecember 6, 2011 7:57 pm

What about Busta Rhymes chains: Remember he was reppin kinda hard for NY with the apple, the Jets or Giants helmet, the Mets hat and Knicks logo?

• AbuDecember 6, 2011 8:38 pm

Good review Ben I been inspired by you for years but one day i want to make it to LA and stop by i wanted that Gucci digital watch for the longest

• Ben BallerDecember 6, 2011 8:48 pm

I really don’t wanna put out these rappers like that…. all those you mentioned I know about. either fake or didn’t make it period

• ELDecember 6, 2011 10:04 pm

honorable mention list was Fire too

Much respect to you and the whole If an Co.

One of my Fav joints you did was the iced out safe with the lock and loose diamonds with the franco that and the Cali with the yellow diamonds SICKKKK

• AZdaGr8December 6, 2011 10:13 pm

Big pun’s tombstone, fab’s black street fam medallion, diplomat chain, ruff ryderys chain, young bucks white n yellow YB spinner, dat infamous BMF chain, jeezy snowman, lil flips clover, lil kim’s B wit da crown, remy ma’s lady martini glass, raeqwon’s spider…now if u was doing a lab created list (foolishness) dat’ll b all Rick Ross, waka, oj, gucci, boosie, yo gotti, tpain, baby…PS. Been a fan of yours since Nike talk…

• TjDecember 7, 2011 2:01 am

Still think Nigo should have been number 1 and Jonas number 2. Those are the kings of this shit especially from a style standpoint. I knew Jonas was ill back in the back you use to have that king of bling internet series dropping off the big ass bear chain that Jonas put on his belt lol.

• CheechDecember 7, 2011 3:20 am

im mad deez clowns were even bringin up gucci….dis was supposed to b da dopest REAL chains….dem shits look obviously fake and i dnt kno shit bout jewels…those busta chains lookd sloppy n unclean…the same for those tpain bottles…im glad i ddnt c dat flugaze transformers chain on here…good article n da mag got me more interested n jewelry

• fatsdachefDecember 7, 2011 6:15 am

Theres 2 peices ive seen that should have made the list..maybe They werent any hip hop artist… but honerable metion at least.. Mariah carey’s Iceefresh M.C chain was supper clean and bright white…and the Infamous iceefresh.. CALI_FORN_I.A has to be the cleanest meanest untouchable peice.. even over the ice age joint..the design just sucked,, to me….P.s all JONAS set ups were crazy unique and trend setting…….

• biscaynebay305December 7, 2011 9:01 am

alot of you misinformed smart-dumb cats are madd annoying, theres a reason they chose BEN to create the article and not YOU, do a little research before you come on here talking about hating on other ppls pieces, bens been shedding light on rappers chains in the jewels thread on NT for a min now, i.e ALL of busta rhymes shit is lab created, along with all the other rappers u smart-dumb cats is listing. madd props on the article ben, well put together and thought out, i always used to think mike jones shit was all cz’s, along with a few other pieces on the list

• VanteFlacoDecember 7, 2011 1:42 pm

No Tyga or Big Sean? they’re chain game is kinda sick

• VanteFlacoDecember 7, 2011 1:43 pm

Espcially Big Sean’s lion head

• VanteFlacoDecember 7, 2011 1:46 pm

Nevermind, just seen the Tyga comment

• citycityDecember 8, 2011 6:31 am

Nice list, much respect. I think Birdmans 900 carat chain with the BIG diamond should make the honorable mentions if it´s really real (and it being birdman, I guess it is), that thing is just stupid

• RayDecember 8, 2011 10:59 am

What about Young L’s boo and domo chain?